The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Suggestions for improving the site 

Post Suggestions for improving the site
Thanks for setting up the site guys, almost feel ashamed for putting in requests so soon :oops:

I thought it may make sense to start a thread to improve the look and feel of the site. This is by no means a criticism of the current set-up. I appreciate the site is still in its infancy. It's more of a wish list for the coming months if and when you have time. Some people may even disagree with my suggestions altogether :lol:

1. Is there anyway of losing the grey borders on the left and right hand side of the web interface and making the actual website scalable/ resize to the size of the browser window? It seems otherwise such a waste of real estate. I'm using Safari but have tried Firefox and both appear to do the same suggesting it's a back end config.

2. Any chance of increasing the point size on the postings ever so slightly to make reading easier? No, I'm not blind and one point would probably just be right :wink:

3. Is it possible to have the Exotic Hotspots back and linked. I know it's a Google thing but I'm not sure whether it will remain, perhaps just a renaming is all that's required.
Now this site isn't UK centric anymore perhaps it's possible to widen the scope and put in International locations too for those of us who like to travel. I have family so can't afford it :lol:

4. A plant FAQ, it seems this was one of the downfalls last time, with new people joining and asking the same questions over and over again. It never bothered me but it's easy to fix so why not. Otherwise I'm sure someone will groan if they have to read 'wrapping my Basjoo' again :lol:

5. Avatars, I never put one up because I'm ugly but where would the site be without Carol's starring eyes to scare the life out of me :lol:

6. Colour scheme, always a tough one and certain to end up in a long debate. Something easy on the eyes for people like me who practically spend their whole working day on the site :lol:

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 pm
Site Moderator

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

You will have to have another pic taken now Carol to show your less scary side. :D

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:03 pm

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:07 pm

Great new forum.

Only problem is that I am struggling to read things - I can't work out if it is the white writing (is it white?) having a grey background making things jump around - or whether the blue is really bright and keeps drwaing my eyes to the borders.

I noticed that in my profile I can choose 'board style' - there are 2 to choose from at the moment but both seem to be the same. Would it be possible to have a few choices in the style drop down list so that I can choose which is best for my eyes?

With many thanks

John

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:57 am

I think Frank's #4, ie FAQs to address the repeated Qs, should be a priority. Given we are now supposed to be international, but are likely to have a strong UK bias to start with, perhaps we could have FAQs with names like "Growing bananas in UK" etc.

May I also suggest an active discipline programme, as for example happens at http://www.bautforum.com/ If you look under About BAUT you can see the (amazingly long) banned posters log. Temporary bans are also a common disciplinary tool. There are reasons why that particular forum attracts a lot of people who end up being (quickly) banned, which don't need explaining here. But it indicates that active discipline helps keep things nice.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:01 am

Thankyou all for your constructive suggestions, many of which I am in agreement with, but as I now have 'flu I am not going to attempt to tackle, perhaps until next weekend.

The 'skin' is an off-the-peg one, the only way I have customised it so far is removing the original header logo (which was a radioactive hazard sign and some electric blue flares) and replacing it with a basic Edge one.

Although the creator of the skin says he will modify the colours for a price, I was thinking of at least trying it myself, moving to a more restful shade of sage green. There is also one more radioactive hazard sign to get rid of. I can also increase the contrast between the pale blue-grey body text and the charcoal background if there is a broad consensus that people would prefer that, and also increase the body text size by one point.

I am well aware that no one colour scheme suits everyone's eyes, we had a long thread about it on UKO some time ago, and I am happy to install a variety of phpBB skins that users can choose from. If you have specific favourites that are freebie downloadables, provide me with a url and I will go and get them, and install for you, although that will entail some work in standardising the logo across all the skins. I actually like the controlled width of the text boxes because on a high definition screen you end up with great wide lines of text that are hard to track from one side of the screen to the other. Perhaps if we have a variety of skins it will enable users to find one that suits them.

I will duly look at the active-discipline programme at BAUT, before commenting. But I am going back to bed soon, today, as I have flu. You might have to wait patiently until the weekend.

This is meant to be a knowledgeable plantpersons forum, its not UKO II, and not aimed at teaching the masses how to preserve banana plants through the British winter. So while I'm not going to put any effort into setting up a FAQ facility catering for such, if others want to, I have no objection.

regards
Peter

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:09 pm

A range of suggestions from John KentGardener. When I have time and wellness I'll go and have a look at them all.

regards
Peter

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:28 pm
Site Admin

Although the creator of the skin says he will modify the colours for a price, I was thinking of at least trying it myself, moving to a more restful shade of sage green. There is also one more radioactive hazard sign to get rid of. I can also increase the contrast between the pale blue-grey body text and the charcoal background if there is a broad consensus that people would prefer that, and also increase the body text size by one point.

My view is that the charcoal grey is very nice, that the contrast between text and ground does need to be increased and that a 1-point increase in text size would probably help, but is not essential (and my vision is not very good).

I'd favour making the background darker, rather than making the text brighter. I also think the darker background would set off photos better.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:34 pm

Post View next topic.
Would it be possible in the fullness of time - it is clearly not urgent - to have a 'View next topic' button at the bottom of the page, rather than having to scroll back up each time to go to the next topic?

Chad.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:41 pm
Site Admin

I'm not techie enough to know if that's easy to do, Chad. But if you're using a PC running Windows, just hit the 'home' key and you'll go straight to the top of the page, without scrolling.

January: 13/6

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:16 pm
Profile WWW

Chad.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]