The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 A request regarding names 
Site Admin

Post A request regarding names
Peter has mentioned this before, but we would very much like people to register for this site under their real names.

There have been issues with arguably libellous posts on UK Oasis and we feel that this is less likely to be a problem, in general, if people have their own names nailed firmly to their opinions.

It's not necessary for those who have already registered under noms de l'internet to delete themselves and start again (after all, we know where you live :twisted: ), but can new members please use some variant of their given names, rather than a fanciful handle?

Many thanks.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:36 pm
Site Admin

Those of you who have already registered using invented handles can indulge us by using the "signature" facility to append your real names to individual posts.

There, that was easy, wasn't it? :wink:

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:15 am

Thanks

Darren.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 pm
Profile WWW

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:02 pm

So it doesn't need to be your full name then.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

No, I appreciate that some people, women and minors in particular, may feel too vulnerable with their full name splashed across the internet, so your first name will do if you feel uncomfortable with your full name on display. And don't feel you have to localise yourself to a specific town, city or village; county or region is enough, eg 'Susie, West Midlands, UK.' or 'Vince, Wiltshire, UK'.

My feeling is that this is not a sci-fi fantasy game or software developers' forum, its for real people, with real lives, growing plants in their gardens. Being a gardening forum, no-one should be saying anything remotely seditious or risqué, so hanging round under a geeky, "QuantumPacket of outer Cyberspace" type assumed identity looks rather silly and inappropriate. It is also liable to make others inclined to treat you less like a real person and more like a Second Life avatar that they can lay into, if you miff them.

Peter.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 am

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:55 am

Okay but how about the business names in my case?
Never mind, I just added the name to the signature, hope that will due?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

I have just registered coming from UKOasis, I then read this post .......

Erm ... I guess if a mod can change my name to James&Kim then or is 'exotic dwindle' ok? It is strange as I am probably, due to the internet, better known as Dwindle than James :lol: 8)

Thanks

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:03 pm
Site Admin

If you go to profile and put your name or names in the signature box they will show up at the end of every post you make its just nice to talk to real names, especially if as we hope, we go more global.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi James

If you go to profile and put your name or names in the signature box they will show up at the end of every post you make its just nice to talk to real names, especially if as we hope, we go more global.

Hi Kev

Ok, thanks I will do that now

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 pm
Site Admin

Just a reminder, as we have quite a few new members, to include your country under "location" in your profile - or in your signature appended to each post.

Quite a few of the recent British-based members, plus a few Americans, have not done this. It's an international forum and some members will not know the names of British counties and American states.

If that includes you, next time you get a spare moment, please amend your details.

Thanks.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]