The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The issue of embedding photos 

Post The issue of embedding photos
Just wondering what the most satisfactory arrangement will be to embed photos. I use my own personal pbase account, but I can also use my (free) Panoramio account as well. Was everyone happy with the arrangment on UKO? I think that was a free account, wasn't it? If so, I guess no trouble to set one up for this board.

Peter

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:58 am

I know you can post photos with the [img] command to link to photobucket or Tinypics and such. It's pretty simple.
I am a mod on a PHP board elsewhere and find it's a very simple forum to use. :lol:
Were you thinking of a separate host site like the UKO one with all the gardens in? Can't help there. Sorry.

Laury

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 am
Profile WWW

Personally I don't have a pbase account and would prefer to be able to upload my photos straight from the jpeg on my PC.

I guess that having that option covers all the bases as far as members displaying photos goes and afterall it's the photos that we get REALLY excited about :D :oops:

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 am
Profile WWW

PHP also has a facility for uploading direct through an attachment option.
Have a look Peter.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:10 am
Profile WWW
I personally prefer to link to my Photobucket account as this way I have reduced file size photos available to use on several forums. This removes the need to have the original (large) file + a smaller copy on my hard drive.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:57 am

If it's possible to have the two options available that would give us more flexibility. I'd probably use a free temporary hosting rather than my own site unless it's something I've already put up on the web.

Just thought I'd better post something to show willing. I'm still in shock!

Tim

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:23 am

All advice and suggestions gratefullly recieved. As someone with a highly visual brain (in case you hadn't noticed) I very much agree that ability to display them is crucial, and it will probably be good to have more than one option available to boardmembers. I will have to look in depth at the options people have suggested, in the next few days.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 am

I've signed up for a free Panoramio account, now let's see if I can post a pic from it.

Last edited by Michael (SW Ireland) on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:00 pm
Profile WWW

good luck with this new forum.

Although I have web space of my own I would find it much easier if posting pics and text to a 'Growing on the edge' topic could be done in one seemless task, as on the UKO.

with many thanks

John

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:01 pm

I just tried it myself and it failed. Not sure what the problem may be as the BBCode you have used looks fine. Hang on a mo'.....

http://gardeningbythesea.com/images/if/ ... coides.jpg

I have just tried again with a picture nicked from Google Images. I think the problem is with the picture hosting you are using as the image doesn't appear in it's own window at any point - but is embeded in a webpage. It seems that the BBCode needs to find the image itself rather than an html page as in your case. Your link to the image doesn't have a .jpg at the end.

hope this helps.

regards

John

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm
Site Admin

I've signed up for a free Panoramio account, now let's see if I can post a pic from it.

This works:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5632732

You can post a link to an external web page URL, but not apparently embed the image in your post. Yet.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:22 pm
Site Admin

OK, I've been e-mailed instructions from an expert you all know, who also says he'll be joining us soon :wink: .

Let's see if they work...

Indeed they do.

So here they are:

Quote:
As for the photo embedding, try clicking on the link [URL] you supplied, then right click the photo.

Go down to properties. Click and highlight the address/URL. Right click and copy,

Paste it into the post you are trying to make.

Delete anything that may appear after .jpg at the end. Then highlight it and click the 'img' function.

That should embed the photo. I think.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:40 pm

I failed to work out the solution earlier - if this works it will be worth adding to the tech notes.

Here Goes...

Well done David - that works perfectly - time for a glass of wine perhaps?.... I think a lot will depend on how the web hosting serves up the photograph but in the case of Panoramio this does the trick. Could be worth adding a permanent help file?

with kind regards

John

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:20 pm
Site Admin

Well done David - that works perfectly - time for a glass of wine perhaps?....

That's usually what happens around here at about 7 o'clock. 8)

kentgardener wrote:
I think a lot will depend on how the web hosting serves up the photograph but in the case of Panoramio this does the trick.

My photos are now on Flickr and the same routine works there, too.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next