The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Succulent identification 

Post Succulent identification
Whilst on holiday in Mallorca I was impressed by these unusual succulents which were around the dining area. The nearest thing I can find to it is the Cotyledon undulata in my RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia. Can anyone give a positive identification please because these were much larger than the picture in the book or I can find on the internet?

I didn't manage to ask the gardener what they were, however I did have a rather amusing conversation in broken English and much gesturing after asking what the plastic things were nailed into the trunks of the Phoenix palms. He gave a very animated depiction of the bugs that the insecticide (poured through the plastic inserts) was meant to kill. He seemed very pleased that I had asked and was obviously a passionate gardener. I presume their bugs are much nastier than ours as his demonstration of them was quite unnerving!

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Post Re: Succulent identification
Kalanchoe beharensis. Fabulous plants, they get pretty big in time. If only they were hardy!...

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks Paul

Yes I see what you mean I have just found a pic of it now you have given me a name and yes it's rather large - very spectacular. I thought they were really lovely but only babies then. Nice for a conservatory!

Thanks for the ID

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Yup, K beharensis
Quite a few different cultivars about. I have one called "Fang" with pointy tubercles on the back of the leaf.
And also one with reddish brown leaves.

I grow them in pots, but keep them outdoors only in the height of summer.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:18 pm

I saw one in a garden in the Algarve that was completely nude - no hair at all. A real oddity!

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Kalanchoe are a promiscuous lot!

Kalanchoe 'Fang' is thought to be hybrid [with K.tomentosa?] and I think Paul's 'nude' form is also hybrid; beharensis x nikae??

Chad.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:46 pm

If my conservatory was more of a conservatory and less of a toy room for grandchildren I would be tempted to buy this one (or 2 since postage is as much as the plant itself)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kalanchoe-Be ... 1438.l2649

So does the fang grow big also?

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:23 am

Timedwards wrote:
So does the fang grow big also?

Mine must be about 2 1/2 ft, probably stunted by the small pot it's in.
If I potted it on, am sure it would carry on grow.
Perhaps something for the spring?

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:23 am

Definitely one for the to buy list - Such an unusual and stunning plant. My window sills are full of baby bananas, agaves and other odds and sods that I have managed to propagate by miracle! I have some in the greenhouse and some inside as an experiment. Being new to this type of gardening I am trying lots of different stuff and ways to see what I have success with. My phoenix Canariensis sprouted yesterday so very exciting :D Re-designing flower beds ready for Spring so will try to make a path type effect with larger borders and perhaps an island bed. Must buy some bigger hardy specimens in the Spring for instant 'structure'. Have been fascinated by tropical/exotics ever since seeing a pic of a Dicksonia Antarctica and a mature Jub' Chilensis in a gardening encyclopedia. Nobody else was quite as excited as me which I found very strange to say the least but there's no accounting for taste :lol: definitely want that jungle effect if I can manage it. I also have a Thai giant I bought off ebay on the kitchen window sill so I hope it makes it through to the Spring as I don't think the tuber would be big enough to store on the dry side. Here's hoping.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:26 am

Leaves can be broken off and root and pup new growth. I had one..and bad tenants son's friends would strip the plant as soon as it recovered from their last raid. When I dug it up try and protect it,it then died. So,I take it that unlike most C&S,these hate broken roots i.e. dug up.

Btw..I did call them down on the plant thefts as I was getting sick and tired of it. They denied all. In the time since they have left...haven't had a plant disappear. Over 2 and into 3 years says something.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]