The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Our garden October 2017 

Post Re: Our garden October 2017
Great garden Kev! Keep the photos coming.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:36 am

What a fantastic garden and a real inspiration to try something similar. My tiny greenhouse is now pretty full of small plants either bought cheaply or grown from seed. The greenhouse is lagged etc so hopefully the plants will still be o.k. after the winter. I really need to buy some larger specimens for impact in the Spring now that I have re-designed our garden from the boring low maintenance one we had before to the one we have now with more room for plants. The seed sowing is a bit addictive though and after your suggestion re the Carob tree and having seen them on hols this year I could not resist buying some seeds off ebay. Presuming they are viable and that they 'grow like cress' what is the best method for seed sowing?

Thanks

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:17 pm
Site Admin

Yes Carob tree seeds for me have germinated easily, not the best time of year for germinating, so I would go for a sunny windowsill for some warmth I just used BQ multi purpose compost.
Its a slippery slope growing exotics sounds like your hooked Tim

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks Kev

Yes, I particularly like the challenge of propagating exotics (and even better if in reality a plant is easy but sounds challenging lol) however I am not so brave and will be aiming for a mixed garden. I have just bought a Prunus Autumnalis Rosea so not very exotic but beautiful and also hardy! I have some interesting ideas though but need to stay calm as I am new to this and the horror stories of the 2010 winter debacle are a bit harrowing. I think it calls for some hard earned experience first before spending too much on mature specimens but I think a nice sized T. Fortunei would be a safe bet to get the ball rolling :lol: Just sown some 'Giant Whale Tongue' Agave so I'm hoping they go as well as the Montana did.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 pm

The Carob tree is definitely easy to propagate if the seeds are good. Came home from work today to see them poking through. I never tire of the thrill of seeing a seed germinate! :D The Whale Tongue germinated easily also so am just waiting on the attenuata now. I have one seed sprouted but looks less sturdy than the Whale's Tongue did so maybe they are more tricky?!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:05 pm
Site Admin

Nice work Tim this reminds me to check some palm hybrid seeds I have on top of our kitchen cupboards :idea:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Just "discovered" your garden and it is just amazing.
Love every detail of it, nice plant combinations and huge and healthy specimens that you've got over there.
Great job and keep posting!

Kr
Niek

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile WWW

Master Kev!!!

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2