The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 need some help with choosing a camera 

Post need some help with choosing a camera
i am planning to buy a digital reflex camera but first i would like to know what would be a good camera for a newbie like me? i am most interested in (nature)landscapes and macro pictures. i am willing to pay a max. of 500€ for a second hand camera. anyone any suggestions?

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:21 pm

There are lots of great digital SLR cameras around now, and the prices are much better than a few years ago.
I haven't tried that many - but I'm a big fan of Nikon and am now on my 3rd DSLR from them. I started with a D50 which has since been discontinued - I think the entry level one now is a D60.
My current camera is a Nikon D90 and I've found it very easy to use and it delivers excellent quality images. I don't do much wildlife photography, but quite a bit of landscape and some close up work with plants, etc.
Hope this is some help.
Pete

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm
Profile WWW

I would recommend the Canon EOS 1000D, around £370 new, or its predecessor the Canon EOS 400D. Both regularly voted the best in their price range by both the press and owners. Then put to rest towards buying a decent macro lens: the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM lens, again highly rated by the press and owners (not sure what the current price is).

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:01 am
Site Admin

I would recommend the Canon EOS 1000D, around £370 new, or its predecessor the Canon EOS 400D...

I have the predecessor to the Canon EOS 400D, the 350D, which I bought second hand from nickPGP a couple of years ago and has done very well for me so far, within the limits of my inexpertise.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:16 pm

In my experience people tend to be in either the Canon camp or the Nikon camp. I'm sure both are actually very good - you pays your money and takes your choice.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:54 pm
Profile WWW

Yes Pete, there are either Canonians or Nikonians in the world of photography, unless you want a real :wink: camera and buy something like a Leica or Hasselblad.

Canon tends to have more gadgets and sytems, wereas Nikon's stress is on quality lenses but lesser technology. The disadvantage is, all those gadgets are getting into your way, when taking a photo, rather than supporting you. Most of these gadgtes aren't so useful anyway.

You guessed right, Kroisos, I'm a Nikon man rather than a Canon supporter. :wink:

I own several cameras, photography is another hobby of mine and all the old analogue cameras I must say are still better than the modern digital ones. I have a Nikon F2, an old 1930ies Leica and my best is a Rolleiflex Twin lens reflex camera beeing still better than my new Nikon D5000 entry level DSLR. What I want to say is this:

I get the impression, that the new digital technology is less reliable, longlasting and stable than the old analogue cameras. If you open an 800€ camera like my Nikon D5000 you get shocked! It's all plastic inside!!
Thus I would never recommend you to buy a used digital camera. (unless you don't want to spend 5000€ on a D3 or so)

I bought my D5000 kit with two lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm) for 750€ which is a solution I'm very content with. For macro shots I have made good experince with inexpensive (30-50€) close-up lenses/filters ( 5 and 10 dpt, made by "B+W") that are applied like a filter. They are screwed to the end of my 18mm lens. A real macro lens costs easily 200-300 € alone.

If you have only 500€ to spend, it would be better to save money till you are able to buy a good system of let's say 600-700€ than to waste your 500 on a used camera (without warranty!) that could give up the ghost soon after you bought it. To spend 150€ more is not that impossible to achieve but you'd be on the safe side.

To give you some information about the camara, the D5000 is an entry level camera that makes good pictures and is about on par with the older and slighty more expensive D90. Contrary to the D90 the D5000 has a flipable display that is very practical to use.

Regards,

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:09 am

thanks for giving the information. i think i have made up my mind and will go for the Nikon D5000 kit with the two lenses.
like with cars or guitars, i just need the essentials but in good quality so i gues i am more a Nikonian than a Canonian :).

@Steven

"I own several cameras, photography is another hobby of mine and all the old analogue cameras I must say are still better than the modern digital ones. I have a Nikon F2, an old 1930ies Leica and my best is a Rolleiflex Twin lens reflex camera beeing still better than my new Nikon D5000 entry level DSLR."

when i was in my mid teens i was given an old pentax camera with a couple of lenses and had great fun playing with it...the only reason why i wont buy an anologe camera is the cost of the films. i find it's great fun to use an anologe camera. it's a bit like playing/listening to lp's instead of using your mp3 player :wink:...so probably i will end up with another anologe camera to but then i definetly need my own dark room :)

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 am

hi everyone,

thanks for giving the information. i think i have made up my mind and will go for the Nikon D5000 kit with the two lenses.
like with cars or guitars, i just need the essentials but in good quality so i gues i am more a Nikonian than a Canonian :).

@Steven

"I own several cameras, photography is another hobby of mine and all the old analogue cameras I must say are still better than the modern digital ones. I have a Nikon F2, an old 1930ies Leica and my best is a Rolleiflex Twin lens reflex camera beeing still better than my new Nikon D5000 entry level DSLR."

when i was in my mid teens i was given an old pentax camera with a couple of lenses and had great fun playing with it...the only reason why i wont buy an anologe camera is the cost of the films. i find it's great fun to use an anologe camera. it's a bit like playing/listening to lp's instead of using your mp3 player :wink:...so probably i will end up with another anologe camera to but then i definetly need my own dark room :)

quick change of plans. i almost went out to buy a nikon D5000 this afternoon but dicided first to make a call to a good friend who is into all this stuff and he suggested i go for the D90 body because he has two lenses (a Nikon AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX and a Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED DX) i could use untill i buy my own lenses. so i will put all my money in the D90 body and use his lenses untill i have saved some money for better lenses :).
i cant wait to get started :D

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:08 pm

good choice, the D 90 is a match to the D5000, any further discussion, which camera is better would turn nerdy quite quickly. :wink: :lol:

Do you know, which storage card you will buy?

I use a "SanDisk Extreme III" SDHC with 4GB capacity, which is quite fast (30Mbit/sec). I'm content with speed and size.

Regards,

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:34 pm

I also use Sandisk Extreme III SDHC card - but I got an 8Gb one with the D90 when I bought it as a kit. It's a good card - I like the extra capacity as I generally shoot in RAW and then convert to JPEG at postprocessing (I use Nikon NXCapture 2 software) as it gives me greater flexibility to push and pull exposure and most of the file settings if I need to.
Hope you get on well with it Kristof!
Pete

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:01 pm
Profile WWW

well i think i will go with the flow and also use the SanDisk Extreme III" SDHC 4 or 8 Gb. i know theres a lot to be learn for a newbie like me and i hope to be a quick learner and i am a very patient person(hey, i grow Sabal palms:lol:) i definitley will practice a lot... with my compact digitall camera i took about 30000 pictures in three years (most of them are of plants in the garden :lol: ). it's been a long time since i've been so excited about something new:D .....boy o boy, i will have so much fun with the much more advanced nikon D90.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]